WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN DEVELOPING A CONTENT STRATEGY
Developing a content strategy is the best approach to measuring the success of your content. Creating unique content that is engaging and persuasive can be time-consuming so it pays to ensure your efforts are not wasted. Here are several questions that you can use as the basis for your strategy.
- What is the case for developing a content strategy? How does it fit in with your business goals? What are the benefits and the risks associated with the strategy?
- How would the content strategy fit in with your overall marketing strategy to achieve those business goals?
- What are your content strategy goals and how and when will you measure them?
- What are your competitors doing when it comes to content?
- Who are you trying to engage? Who is your target audience? What are their behaviour patterns? What are their content consumption patterns? Where are they located? What language do they consume content in? What are their challenges? (If you have more than one target audience, you will need to profile for each.)
- Do you have the relevant brand information to create consistent content, such as a tone of voice document that defines your communication and differentiates you from the competition?
- What are you key messages that need to be included? What are your brand messages that need to be included? Do you have a list of key words for SEO purposes?
- What channels / platforms will you use to distribute the content?
- Who in the company will be responsible for distribution?